You guys. This peanut soup might be the best thing I’ve ever made in my life. It was over-the-top amazing! My husband said it was the best soup he’d ever had, then added, “And my name is Campbell, so my opinions on soup carry a lot of weight.” An odd duck, that one.
I made it up as I went, but after we ate it, I wrote down all the steps, so I could recreate it. If I go through the trouble of writing down a recipe, it must be a keeper, cuz that ain’t my bag.
When this was cooked, I ran it through my Vitamix (in two batches) because I love puréed soup. If you prefer a chunkier soup, just omit that step, or purée half the batch and transfer back to your soup pot so you’ve got a creamy base. This is great with a crusty slice of bread, but then so is everything because carbs are life.
Perfect Peanut Soup:
- 1 big-ass sweet potato
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 bulb of garlic (sliced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 large can of coconut milk
- 1 small can of coconut milk
- 2 cups of water and one veggie boullion cube or two cups veggie broth
- Approximately one cup of peanut butter
- As much spinach as you like (I used about 3 cups)
- Crushed peanuts
Add the following ingredients to suit your taste (I started with approximately one teaspoon of each, and adjusted to taste.)
- lime juice
- curry powder
- raw sugar
- garlic powder
- Chop onion and garlic
- Peel sweet potato, and cut into cubes
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil
- Add peeled, cubed sweet potato and brown just a little.
- Add can of tomatoes, the large can of coconut milk and all spices.
- Simmer on low for at least an hour.
- Add small can of coconut milk, about one cup of peanut butter and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer to blender (in batches) then return to your soup pot.
- Add spinach and allow to wilt.
- Fill bowls and top each with crushed peanuts.
Prepare yourself for applause, and enjoy!